When you meet a Seeing Eye Dog, it is important to remember that these dogs are working and should not be distracted.
- Distract, feed or touch a working Seeing Eye Dog (in harness) without the handler’s permission.
- Avoid offering assistance (if required) to a dog guide handler.
- Discriminate against a person because they are using a dog guide.
- Speak directly to the person, not the dog, when offering assistance
- Keep pathways clear of obstacles and overhanging bushes trimmed to fence line
- Leave doors fully open or fully closed
- Position yourself slightly behind the right shoulder of a dog handler when walking with them
- Walk about 1metre ahead if the handler is instructing their dog to “follow” and continue talking to the person.
- Alert the person to any unusual behaviour or physical appearance of their dog.